A condition to multi-speed IT is a clear separation between governance and management.
For a quick hit assessment of this condition, CIO might consider the best practice(s) which have been leveraged to define the IT management processes of their company.
 selection of articles / document on the open internet
- The new roles of the IS function, -Missions, competences and marketing of the function-, Cigref, 2015, page 24
- A two-speed IT architecture for the digital enterprise, Oliver Bossert, Chris Ip, and Jürgen Laartz, McKinsey, 2014
- Two-Speed IT: A Linchpin for Success in a Digitized World, Antoine Gourévitch, Benjamin Rehberg, and Jean-François Bobier, Boston Consulting Group, 2012
- DevOps multi-speed IT, IBM Cloud Architecture Center, IBM, 2016
- Gearing Up for Growth Using Multi-speed IT, Nicholas Bayley and John Shacklady, Accenture, 2015
- From Train to Scooter, Ron Tolido, Capgemini, 2011
- Tech Trends 2016, Deloitte University Press, 2016, pages 6-13
- Bimodal IT, Gartner IT Glossary